[CQ-Contest] computers ruined contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] computers ruined contesting
From: k4sb@earthlink.net (K4SB)
Date: Thu Jul 3 21:53:16 2003

"Alan C. Zack" wrote:
> just the way he heard it.  Regardless, if it wasn't logged as
> DU1/K6ACZ it was treated as a busted call (NIL) and removed from my
> log with penalties, resulting in a reduction of 4804 points.

Just don't understand this. How can you get a bust because the other
guy made a mistake.

> ARRL wrote: "The various log checkers handle the portable "/"
> designators different ways (as they each have developed their own
> processes). - the software didn't see the match as correct so the call
> got a NIL.  With millions of contacts being processed, it simply isn't
> possible to hand check each and every contact."

In the first place, I seriously doubt "millions of contacts" being
process for an entire year on all contests, much less the ARRL 10.

Since when is the ARRL allowed to make their own interpretation of a
call? Or the log checkers? By law, DU1/K6ACZ was the license issued
and "various log checkers" have no right to use their own preferences.
Either modify the software ( it should actually be standard at this
point ) or replace the checkers.

Bum deal   Computers are not to blame, they are incapable of making a
mistake. Software and humans are another matter.

73
Ed