[CQ-Contest] computers ruined contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] computers ruined contesting
From: kr6x@kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones)
Date: Tue Jul 8 08:32:05 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu>
To: "Leigh S. Jones" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Cc: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 5:55 AM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] computers ruined contesting

> On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 07:44:19AM -0700, Leigh S. Jones wrote:

portions deleted

> > Issues surrounding this
> > subject should be above the influence of sponsorship, and in the
hands
> > of the contesting community.
>
> This is silly - if it weren't for the sponsorship, we wouldn't have
log
> checking at all.

Therein lies the problem.  It's like saying that if it weren't for the
grace of the king, we wouldn't have a home.  Sponsorship of the
contest creates a little kingdom in which we are ruled whether
we think ourselves to be justly governed or not.

> >                               Decisions on this subject should not
be
> > made by the programmers of the log checking programs.  The
programmers
> > should be working to specifications that originate with open and
> > democratic discussions and decision-making and the full
concurrence of
> > the contesting community.
>
> Those who are programming the log checking software are not exactly
ignorant
> of the issues.  I think N5KO, N6TR, K8CC, et al. know a thing or two
about
> what should and should not be counted as a good QSO.

Thankfully, they do understand the issues.  Actually, two of the three
on your
list were close friends of mine in my youth.  And, most of the others
with
influence in logchecking rules -- such as N6AA and K3EST, are well
known
to me and high on my list of the well respected.  My intention in
making these
comments is to strengthen the process that underlies the selection of
logchecking
rules and give these guys the support they deserve.

> > As evidenced by the nature of the discussion, our present log
checking
> > system is based on exactly the opposite set of principles.
>
> The current system came about because people cared about doing it,
it became
> technically feasible with electronic log submissions, and selfless
individuals
> with the proper skills volunteered their time and energy and
finances to make
> it happen.

Exactly.  This means that the contesting community is not doing its
job in
support of these volunteers adequately.  We sit back and ask these
judges
to make their decisions without the benefit of having us serve on
their juries.
And, in a pinch, we criticize their choices publicly on the reflector
whenever
it affects our own logs.  Shame on us...