[CQ-Contest] computers ruined contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] computers ruined contesting
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Sat Jul 5 10:16:49 2003
I don't believe it should be up to the log checking to know whether someone
sent DU1/ or /DU1.  What if changes from QSO to QSO?  Sure the log checking
can "guess" much like in SS where it has to "guess" about checks and
precedences that vary - but to what end?  Do we want it to have to declare a
CALLSIGN unstable?

What about K vs. 1000 vs. KW?  Aren't they all "communicating" the fact that
the station is running one thousand watts?  Is not the idea to "communicate"
information as efficiently as possible?  K, 1000 and KW all mean the same
thing to me.

I know if I hear WA1ABC/DU1 and five minutes later I hear DU1/WA1ABC that
it's the same guy.  No reason to penalize someone who might log it one way
vs. the other (sometimes it's a matter of getting the logging program to ID
the country properly).

IMO, "log exactly what was sent no matter what or be damned if you don't" is
not what our goal should be.

Mike N2MG