[CQ-Contest] computers ruined contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] computers ruined contesting
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Wed Jul 9 19:59:51 2003
I think Mark's right about this. Olympic athletes get no say in how drug
tests are performed.

They do, however, have a right to a full understanding of how the tests
work. That's what the contest community has: the right to know how it works.
And, having paid attention over the years to all the posts from Tree and
Trey and others, I think that's what they've tried to do.

But determining the process should be in the hands of the sponsor, who will
set up the rules in line with the desired flavour of the contest, much like
the S&P rule in sprints. The sponsor's responsibility, then, is only to
communicate the rules to the contest community.

I think when you leave adjudication in the hands of the adjudicated, an
undeniable conflict of interests comes into play.

None of this should be taken to mean that you can't complain about processes
or rules you don't like. That is your right. But it's also the sponsor's
right to disagree.

73, kelly
ve4xt