Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: Partial Exchanges

To: "cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: Partial Exchanges
From: "Paul O'Kane" <paul@ei5di.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 20:19:29 +0100
From: "Jan Erik Holm" <sm2ekm@telia.com>

> In the CQWW rules it stipulates clearly that one
> has to exchange "RS/RST report plus zone".

I'm trying to draw attention to a specific aspect of the
rules which I believe is no longer relevant.

CQWW, and other major international contests, have not
kept up with the times with regard to the exchange of RST.
I well remember when you would expect to send and receive
a different value for RST in every contest QSO. That doesn't
happen now.

> Why not play by the rules? In this case you
> clearly should have been DQ´ed.

As I was not DQ'd, it seems that the rule is not enforced.

A rule that is not enforced is effectvely no more than a
recommendation - and this applies equally to any sport or
discipline you care to mention.

> If you start to bend
> the rules like this where will it end?

I expect it will end in the rule being updated to make the
exchange of RST optional.  What is the point, or where is
the merit or skill, in exchanging 59(9) in every contest
QSO?  And please don't say "it's in the rules".

We all know that RS(T) is not cross-checked in the major
contests and that all contest logging software defaults to
59(9) logged - both sent and received.  Therefore, saying
59 or sending 599 in every QSO is a pointless exercise -
apart from the fact that, at present, it's required by the
rules.

73,
Paul EI5DI