Re: [CQ-Contest] Partial Exchanges

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Partial Exchanges
From: "Paul O'Kane" <paul@ei5di.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:40:24 +0100
From: "Thomas Horton" <k5iid@earthlink.net>

> .. I have to state that in my opinion that you are
> totally wrong by not following the rules.  Like it
> or not, the rules are the rules. Just because you
> disagree with them, does not give anyone the right
> or authority to arbitrarily change the way the game
> is played.

Tom is 100% right - I wouldn't disagree with anything
said above.

I know I'm wrong.  I don't have the right to omit RST,
By doing that, I'm risking a penalty or disqualification.

However, I declared all that in my entries.  I owned up,
and invited the organisers to disqualify me or admit that
it doesn't really matter whether or not RST is actually
sent.

They did neither, which could be taken to mean that they
didn't read what I put in my log, or they have no opinion
one way or the other, or that the whole issue is too
trivial for them to bother with.

> In several contests the senders call sign is part of
> the exchange. I guess we shouldn't bother with that
> either, since we should know who we are,
> right?

Right and wrong!  There is no requirement, in the CQWW
rules, for an exchange of callsigns.  If you think this
can't be true, check the rules.  To that extent, the rules
simply reflect reality.  When I'm calling CQ and you call
me, you will announce your callsign, not mine.  I'll give
your call and exchange, then you'll give my exchange (no
calls).  You will log my call even though you didn't send
it any time during the QSO.

What's the difference between that, and my logging 59(9)
even though I didn't send it?

Since many people who responded to this thread believe
they are beyond reproach with regard to obeying the rules,
please consider this.

In the USA I understand you are obliged by your licence
to give, in every QSO, the callsign of the station you're
working.  In the circumstances I've outlined above, logging
a call but not giving it on-air, it appears that you are in
breach of your licence regulations.  Therefore, you're also
in breach of the CQWW rules which require you to observe
"all contest rules and regulations for amateur radio in the
country of operation".

> By the way, I operate a lot of contest QRP and I get
> lots of non-599 reports and I log 'em as I hear 'em.

Can't argue with that. However, in CQWW, it doesn't matter
what you log for RST as it's not cross-checked.

73,
Paul EI5DI