[CQ-Contest] Partial Exchanges

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Partial Exchanges
From: Chuck <discreetly_confidential@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 06:56:33 -0700 (PDT)

FCC rules require USA hams to send THEIR OWN call
ONLY at the end of an exchange of transmissions
with a station OR every 10 minutes - whichever
comes first.

In contests, that means we SHOULD send our
callsign at the end of the exchange when we don't
expect to be communicating with the station we
jsut worked. However, as we all know.. that's not
always done.  Doesn't make it right.. it just is
the way it is. I try to do so, but in the heat of
battle I (as many do) forget or just let it slip.

Re: sending your call or my call in CQ contest -
When the laws in a particular jurisdiction are
applicable to a station who is under the
jurisdiction of those laws require something to
be done it then makes ZERO difference whether the
contest rules state the need to do so or not.

The laws of the land that apply overrule and take
precedence of the contest sponsors rules.  Such
an point as raise in this case of CQ WW not
requiring an exchage of callsigns is irrelevant
since any laws imposed by the Country override CQ
Contest rules.

Because something is NOT checked is irrelevant to
the point. The rules state what SHALL (meaning
MUST) be included within the exchange and that
ends any discussion of whether or not one WANTS
to do it. Of course, laws applying to the
operation of your station are "SHALL's" as well
and need NOT be explicity stated in the rules in
order for them to apply, since different
Countries have different rules. Such things are
assumed (rightly so) to be a 'given'.

Until the rules are changed, that's the 'way it
is'.

K3FT

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com