[CQ-Contest] Packet statistics

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packet statistics
From: Scott Nichols <snichols@mvosprey.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:41:22 -0400
Interesting to read the annual hubbub about packet in CW SS...

Some stats:

2004 SS CW - Claimed Scored to Nov 9/04:

Prec B - Avg score of top 30 stations - 198,120 with 27 of 30 achieving sweeps
Prec U - Avg score of top 30 stations - 141,151 with 25 of 30 achieving sweeps

2003 SS CW - Official Results:

 Prec B - Avg score of top 10 - 215,552
 Prec U - Avg score of top 10 - 172,820

2002 SS CW - Official Results:

 Prec B - Avg score of top 10 - 219,552 with 10 sweeps
 Prec U - Avg score of top 10 - 176,499 with 9 sweeps

SS CW All Time Divisional Records:

 Prec B - Avg score of 16 Divisional all-time records - 220,296
 Prec U - Avg score of 16 Divisional all-time records - 168,026

Now, I'm no statistician, and I'm sure there are 5,000 other factors to consider in evaluating the above, but it appears to me that "B" top scores consistently are ahead of "U" top scores, at least in CW Sweepstakes...Does this not seem to indicate that packet provides no big advantage in achieving a top score ? I'd like to do the same type of analysis for CQWW...Might be a different story in a contest with many, many mults...

I personally think the Europeans have it right by allowing packet in all categories in most of their contests...Eliminates the packet class cheaters...If you think it helps, connect and use it...If you think its a waste of time, don't use it...At least the playing field is even...It's become a fixture in radiosport...Lets face it....If you want to WIN, you have to run, run, run and get Q's...Most of the mults will come to you anyway...Using packet adds an element of fun for those of us who like to do DXCC on 3 bands in CQWW, or are fascinated at being able to click on a callsign on a screen and instantly be in the middle of a nice juicy pileup etc etc...Same as SO2R adds an element of fun for those guys...No seperate SO2R class yet, but much bigger advantage in my opinion...

One thing I will comment on, last weekend in CW SS, I could tell when I was spotted by the sudden flurry of stations calling me after a lull...Interestingly, many of them were giving me B's, A's or Q's...These are the ones I consider packet class cheaters...

73, and CU in all of the next 4 or 5 weekends...Gotta love this time of year...

Scott VE1OP