Re: [CQ-Contest] Another gratuitous SS-CW trick

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Another gratuitous SS-CW trick
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:34:27 -0800
On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 07:40:59PM -0800, Ken Widelitz wrote:

> There is nothing wrong with being in favor of or putting forth suggestions
> to change the rules. I just don't think it does any good to chastise a
> practice that is NOT against the rules.
>
> My own personal opinion is that part of the fun of the contest is listening
> before the contest to see what bands and paths are open, warming up a
> frequency and saying hi to guys who are getting ready for the contest. I
> would not be in favor of a rule change that prohibits such activity.

mmmmm.... I have found that there are all sorts of things that
might not be explicity prohibited by the rules but that many
people do not do - some of these activites are clearly frowned on
by other contesters and other activites are more of a gray area.

I choose not to do many things that are not prohibited by the rules.

(these sorts of things include but are not limited to)

- Making skeds before the contest.
- Sending emails 'reminding' people to work me in the contest.
- Warming up a frequency 30 mins before the contest.
  (I will get on and tune around a bit and work some guys to find out
   if my junk works)
- Using other bands in the 10 meter contest or in a single band effort
  to find stations and move them to the band I am on for the weekend.
- Using databases of past exchanges or callsigns. SCP etc.
- Using packet to fill up the band maps before the contest starts
  and then turning it off - when unassited.
- Running my amp when I am low power in an effrot to get to
  the 150 or 200 watt limit.
- Having my friends feed me callsigns that no one else will work.

I am sure if I thought about it I could come up with more.
I find I feel better about myself and sleep better by not
doing these things.  YMMV

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net