RE: [CQ-Contest] QST...A radical thought?

To: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com,cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] QST...A radical thought?
From: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 19:40:24 -0800 (PST)
--- "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com> wrote:

> > I was also informed again that contesters are not
> a signicant
> > focus for the ARRL and that the focus of the boys
> in Newington
> > is the guys who are the no-code techs, and the
> boys who frequent
> > two meters.  They are the majority of the ham
> population.  The
> > DXers and contesters are a  small minority of the
> entire ham
> > population
>
> That's typical of politicians who look only at raw
> numbers and
> make decisions based on polls (the Bill Clinton
> School of
> leadership).  What the boys in Newintgon fail to
> realize (and
> the politicians called Directors/Vice Directors will
> never
> acknowledge) is that the contesters and Dxers spend
> more money
> and time on amateur radio than all the "shack on the
> belt" no-
> code techs put together.
>
> It also shows why the ARRL serves no useful purpose.

Yeah, no kidding. Glad to hear they don't care about
me.  Show the totally illogical thinking on their
part:

1. Ignore the ones who work the hardest to get the
advanced licenses, and cater to the ones who pass a
simple 35 question test.

2. Since advertising supports a large part of QST,
ignore the ones who spend all the money at the
advertisers,and cater to the ones who buy the $129
HTs.  I am sure that Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu can buy
QST ads off of HT sales alone.

3. Ignore the ones who pay the $10 award fees, the $8
per pound bureau fees, and the like, for those who
probably aren't going to earn any ARRL award without
upgrading or significant station improvement.

4. Since BPL seems to be the ARRLs bogeyman, cater to
the ones who could care less about BPL, since they
will lose nothing if it is implemented.

73s John NE0P
A worthless extra class HF operating, contesting, DX
chasing ham