Re: [CQ-Contest] QST...A radical thought?

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QST...A radical thought?
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@centurytel.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:31:02 -0800
> Perhaps the answer to this line score thing is to offer a QST subscription
> in two forms.  One would be the traditional hard copy in its present
form.
> The other would be an on-line version with expanded line scores as  well
as
> traffic reports and all the stuff the ARRL says can't be put in QST
because of
> page limitations.
>
> Prices would either be the same or would be cheaper for the on line
version.
>  To limit access of the on-line version, I'm sure the computer  geeks
among
> us have excellent ways to limit access to only subscribers.

And this differs from the current situation how?  As I see it, you currently
get BOTH of these options from your current membership: QST in traditional
form and access by members to the full and complete Web-based information.
This includes the traditional format of writeup+line scores as a
downloadable PDF document.  Members get access to complete information while
non-members get summarized information.

> How this would affect advertising?  That's a good question, best
addressed
> by N0AX.

Actually, I have little administrative input or knowledge of this sort of
detail - I just write 'em and red-pencil 'em.

> Everybody would be happy, the traffic guys, the little pistols, the big
> pistols and maybe even the staff at headquarters.
>
> I am going to the Tampa hamfest tomorrow and mention this to the guys from
> ARRL who will be there and see what their thoughts are.
>
> Bill K4XS

Here's an idea I have proposed that has not been turned down outright, but
may require some software development (read, expenditure of tight $$).

For every submitter of a log, give them the opportunity to receive an email
with a link to the downloadable PDF document with the complete results when
they become available.  Click it and get it.  Additionally, put a check box
on their membership account page that would enable them to receive the same
email whenever any results become available. (This wouldn't just be contest
results, but writeups on special events, emergency tests, traffic handling
summaries, and so on.)  There are a number of ways to get the information in
front of the ARRL member.  It just occurred to me that this sort of link
could also go into the ARRL Letter.  Put people one click away from the
results and they will get read.

It could be extended to the idea of sending an email to every ARRL member
whose validated call appears in the final data base.  It's a "Simple Matter
of Programming" - the four most dangerous (and expensive) words in the
English language.  Imagine - "Dear WX1XXX - thank you for participating in
the ARRL's ABCD contest.  Please click [link] to receive a copy of the
complete contest results.  We hope to see you in the next one!  For more
information about contesting and contest organizations in your area, please
click [link]."  I ask you if that wouldn't be powerful to a 20-, 30-,
40-something ham that represents the next generation of contesting?

Ooh - another good idea. (How much coffee *did* I put in the machine this
morning?) Include a link to the log search engine so that the reader could
go immediately to a sorted list that finds their call and shows the results
sorted by region, category, and score.  I.e. - Sort of a Super Check Line
Score - "Click [link] to see your score."

Bear in mind that the ARRL is (rightly) concerned about sending unwanted
emails to members so would have to be handled correctly and with full member
approval of any automatic mailings.  Furthermore, none of this can increase
magazine costs - the money just isn't there.  However, a well-defined
package of software tasks based on existing functions has a chance of
getting done.

Nevertheless, the mechanics of information distribution is sufficient that
it would be easy to put electronic line scores in front of readers.  If you
absolutely have to have the printed page, so be it.

73, Ward N0AX