Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW DXCC

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW DXCC
From: Steve IK4WMH <ik4wmh@virgilio.it>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:42:52 +0000
Hello K4IK,

JSK> Thus if you had more than 120 "new ones," your total cost would
JSK> even out.

I don't think so.

I've tried to do some math after reading the bottom of the
https://p1k.arrl.org/lotw/dxccapply page and I've found out that LOTW
will always be more expensive to me than field checking, always.

JSK> In addition, the cost of a confirmation by LotW is significantly
JSK> less than the cost of a traditional card by mail.

True, but you'll always need a traditional card by mail if you are
going to apply for one or more of the thousands of awards available
(IOTA, WAZ, etc) other than DXCC.

JSK> Even a bureau card was around $0.50 (bureau fees, postage, etc.)

A bureau card costs nothing to me but the annual italian league fee
(not cheap, 72 euro's ((95 USD at today's exchange rate)) but
all-inclusive) and the pure cost of the printed paper card.

JSK> LotW is really a bargain in the big picture.

If you are chasing awards other than those issued by ARRL then LOTW
actually looks more another burden.

Famous Sport Quotes:

"... and later we'll have action from the men's cockless pairs"
Sue Barker, commentating on Rowing