Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.

To: KI9A@aol.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:04:38 -0700
At 11:53 AM 7/24/2005, KI9A@aol.com wrote:
>Look, all you need to do, is, 1) get the certificate, 2) transfer your  ADIF
>files from your normal logging software to the tq8, then either email or
>upload the tq8 files. How much easier can it get?? Kudos to the folks who
>run
>LOTW, it is a great program.

"How much easier can it get?" you ask. Ok, here's how I envision it:

1. Go to LoTW website.
2. Enter your user id and password.
3. Upload ADIF file.
4. Log out.

How's that for easier? Or do you really prefer the morass of .tq5, .tq8 and
.p12 files? And what about the nonsense of every single QSO being digitally
signed? Think about that one for a minute. If I have made an error of some
kind, every QSO gets digitally signed with the wrong information. What
would be the difference from just uploading an ADIF file which I certify to
be correct just by the act of logging in?

The important point of all this is that we are missing QSLs from stations
who took one look at LoTW and gave up because it is unnecessarily
complex.  How many more states/countries/provinces would you have confirmed
right now if LoTW were user-friendly like it should be?

Bill, W6WRT