Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.

To: <CQ-CONTEST@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.
From: Jim Rhodes <k0xu@iowadsl.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 01:12:06 -0500
(When did this tread get reactivated anyway)

Actually I have sent them support for running it just the way that they do.
I found it truly simple to set up and run. And I find the level of security
to be appropriate. And I am sure that you did not just log onto your bank's
website & set up an account remotely. You had to go into the bank and sign
up for an account. The ARRL did not make you do that, so they need some way
to make you prove who you are. When was the last time you made a deposit
over the internet? The comparison of LOTW to internet banking is really a
bogus one.

At 08:26 PM 7/23/2005, Bill Turner wrote:
>At 02:04 AM 7/16/2005, N7MAL wrote:
> >I've heard a lot of moaning and groaning because it's to complicated or to
> >time consuming etc.

>The moaning and groaning is right on. LoTW is far too complex for the level
>of security needed. I can log into my bank account with only a user name
>and password and do financial transactions in perfect security. No
>"certificates", no "signing" of transactions, no .TQ8 files, no .p12 files,
>no yearly renewal, etc, etc.
>
>Each of us should put pressure on our ARRL director to fix it. LoTW should
>be a source of pride to the ARRL, not a source of endless complaints.
>

>Bill, W6WRT
>LoTW user since day one... that's how I know.

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim@rhodesend.net

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.