Re: [CQ-Contest] Trying to compile list of all known Cabrillo contestIDs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Trying to compile list of all known Cabrillo contestIDs
From: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 04:45:14 -0800 (PST)
--- Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Are you implying that there is or should be a
> Cabrillo "committee" which has to approve every
> use of the spec?  Who does this benefit?

Hi Joe,
You raise an interesting question that launches a
couple of thoughts.  The way I have come to understand
it, Cabrillo is simply a presentation method that
sponsors are encouraged to use to make their lives
easier (bravo!).  Each sponsor can extend it to meet
their needs (and the spec is flexible to allow
that...bravo, again!).

There are other factors at play.  Most notably, robot
development. :)

It would be helpful to log/cabrillo developers if a
robot were to be written in a way that bridges the
event's rules and the Cabrillo's spec more closely.
That is not always the case.  Some use "space" as
log-record delimiters when the spec clearly shows them
to be fixed-length records with data in specific
places.

To be clear, I am _not_ complaining about the
volunteers who have supported contesting through the
development of the robot system.  They are my heroes.
My contesting life is more enjoyable because of them.

Simply food for thought.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV