Re: [CQ-Contest] Trying to compile list of all known Cabrillo contestIDs

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>,VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>, cq-contest@contesting.com,jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Trying to compile list of all known Cabrillo contestIDs
From: Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 09:58:20 -0500
At 1/7/2006 06:51 AM, Pete Smith wrote:
>One might ask, in all innocence, so long as the string following the CONTEST:
>tag is unique, who the heck cares?  The sponsor's robot can be trained to see
>the string for its particular contest, and off we go.

The problem is that in this case the spec defined the contest name strings.
The spec "shoulda" just said that the string following CONTEST: should be X
characters long, left up to the discretion of the contest organizer to make
unique.  I think it was a short coming of the spec to actually define a
specific number of contests that could use Cabrillo.  It was self defeating, in
that to have Cabrillo widely adopted, it needed more contests to use it.  Seems
obvious in hindsight.    I am sure that somewhere on a DVD or CD there is a
string encoded with the title and artist.  I don't think that the spec for DVDs
or CDs has every single title or artist in it.  I agree in with some of Brett's
arguments (I tried for years to implement RS-232 spec devices), but the spec
should just be amended to remove the specific contest names.