Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules

To: "'Gerry Hull'" <gerry@w1ve.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 11:32:21 -0000

No offense, Gerry, but you can't be serious! I have no problem with people
"thinking outside the box" when it comes to improving technology to make
things better. The SteppIR antenna is a case in point. But what you are
proposing here is tantamount to reducing amateur "radio" to a wired system
and if you think that is forward thinking, then you'll really have fun with
your wind-up or rotary dial landline telephone and your telegraph connection
to Mr Drucker's store.

To me, it has nothing to do with the DXCC desk or cheating.... it just
doesn't seem to be in keeping with the advancements of radio. We used to
pride ourselves on our ability to take a bunch of gear and set it up in a
field anywhere and provide communications. That was the basis for Field Day.
Now everyone gets in a snit if the Internet connection goes down and they
can't connect to the cluster. Just imagine a network wide failure in the
middle of a contest and everyone loses their connections. Oh, the horror!

Nope, like I said before, this is not what I got my licence for.

73 -- Paul VO1HE