Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 19:21:41 -0000
From: "Gerry Hull" <gerry@w1ve.com>

> What about my proposal does not involve radio?

It's easy - wired networks (even with RF links) are
not amateur radio.

They're often called the internet.  Others may call
them something else, perhaps amateur remote control or
amateur networking, but please don't pretend they're
amateur radio - even if it does say Ten-Tec on the
front panel.

I understand the fun to be had experimenting with
remote sites, in solving problems and pushing
technology boundaries. I'm all for having fun, but
surely remote control is no more legitimate than
EchoLink or phone-patch in the context of award-
chasing and contesting?

For contesting purposes, a simple solution would be
to include the operator(s) in the 500-metre rule.

73,
Paul EI5DI