Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules

To: "'Gerry Hull'" <gerry@w1ve.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 00:25:05 -0000

Hi Gerry, thanks for the reply.

My question is: How much of your proposal DOES pertain to radio?

This idea merely extends the wires that go from the guts of the rig to the
control panel using the Internet, like putting a IC-706 in the trunk and
using a cable to place the controls on the dashboard; albeit a substantially
greater distance. It ultimately requires the reliance on wires and external
systems to provide that link; a distinctly retrograde position.

I have worked guys who are using their VHF/UHF radios to interface with
their HF radios. This is a neat piece of kit and endorses the technological
advances made in that it connects two radios using RF in order to facilitate
communications although it's not foolproof. I have less of a problem with
this type of remote operation but it's a far cry from what you are
advocating.

I live in an urban environment surrounded by power lines, houses and
buildings. I'm surprised I do as well as I do from here. Sure, I'd like to
have a nice, quiet rural location and one day I may but, until then and even
then, my transmissions and reception will occur "here" and not in some
far-flung region of the planet just so I can hear stuff "from there". The
whole idea is to hear stuff "from here". For that matter, I can call someone
in Australia on the phone, have him hook me up to his phone patch (remember
them?) and let me work the world from there. This is, in essence, what is
being proposed, is it not? That is not true radio so how do you figure the
Internet is any different simply because you can control the rig function as
well? It doesn't alter the fact that the radio is not truly at your command
should a problem arise. No remote operation can ensure that.

Your QRZ blurb states:

"Although I've probably done most things in my career as a ham, the most
consistant activity has been contest operating. I love contests, especially
CW DX and SS. I've never had a super station at home, but I've had the
privledge of operating from some of the best in the world: VE1DXA(@VE1YX),
VE9DH, VE1ASJ, KY1H/K1TTT, K1ZZ, W2SZ/1, and many others. In the mid-80s I
was part of DXpeditions to Sable (CY0) and St. Paul (CY9) Islands as CY0SAB
and CY9SPI. In addition, I put in a single-op stint as VP2M/VE1RM."

Would it have been as noteworthy if these had been remote stations and you
operated them from a comfy chair in your home? Personally, I think a part of
the magic that is the Amateur Radio hobby is hauling your ass out of the
chair every now and then, going to one of these exotic locales, setting up
your gear and making contacts while actually being there to experience the
local life beyond just operating the radio. I haven't had the fortune to do
it yet but one day I hope to go on a DXpedition or operate from an exotic
location. Talk to Ramon XE1KK who is endeavouring to do a walking DXCC. Your
way, all he has to do is surf the 'Net. Where's the adventure in that and
where is the incentive for me to work you if you call yourself P51AA or
VK0AA when I know you're actually sitting in New Hampshire? All that boils
down to is a phony counter for DXCC and all I made contact with was an
illusion.

To paraphrase a line in Jurassic Park: Just because we could do something
doesn't mean we should do it. In my opinion, it just cheapens the hobby even
further.

I certainly hope that this does not become the norm for the hobby. If it
comes down to trying to bust pileups or contesting against guys with remote
stations dotting the globe, then my gear will be for sale and I'll buy a new
motorcycle.

Like you said, to each his own.

73 -- Paul VO1HE