Re: [CQ-Contest] WW CW wrong Zone sent?

To: K0HB <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WW CW wrong Zone sent?
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:08:31 -0800
On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 05:27:53PM -0000, K0HB  wrote:

> Fast forward to post-Contest, the scoring machine might "know" the OP
> wasn't in Zone 2, but it cannot take the mult away from those operators who
> accepted the exchange in good faith.

That doesn't sound right at all.

In the past, I've worked a lot of people in the IARU contest that thought
they were in zone 3, 4, or 5 even when their call sign indicates that is
not possible.  I can work over 2,000 contacts and never work a real zone 5,
should I still get credit for that zone mult because someone in Florida
gives me a 5?  Come on.

The correct answer in the example above is that operators should not get
penalized for an exchange error if they copied what the station sent, but
the QSO should be scored by whatever zone the VE2 station was really in, as
determined by the contest adjudicators.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com