Re: [CQ-Contest] WW CW wrong Zone sent?

To: <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WW CW wrong Zone sent?
From: "Art Boyars" <art.boyars@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:34:24 -0500
From: "K0HB "
To: "Art Boyars"
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 12:27 PM
"Known" by whom?

HB says: In the midst of a contest, I copy what is sent and I must trust
what the other OP is sending, not what the CT automagic field-populator
thinks is correct.

KU replies:  Yes (except sometimes it's clear that the guy is confused about
his QTH identifier: using WW zone in IARU, or "Southern New York" in SS
Phone).  And a Pox on people who rely on the logging software and packet
spots instead of copying.

HB: So now that I believe I have a Zone 2 mult in the log and no longer have
that on my "wish list", I will strategize the rest of the contest slightly
differently based on that.

KU: Yes, that is a valid problem.  Similar to, but more serious to your
score, than the guy (in the rare mult) who can't send his own call right.
You get dinged for his error.  (I realize this is a CW-oriented view, but I
did come up with a far-fetched phone example: the newbie NA99PKO who is a
poor speller, giving his call as North America 99 Newmonia Nives Ahranges.)
But that is a risk you take.  Use your knowledge/experience ("Yes, good old
Joe, in Zone 2" or "Hmmm, I never heard of him; is he really Zone 2?") and
decide if you better work another Zone 2 to reduce the risk.

HB: Fast forward to post-Contest, the scoring machine might "know" the OP
wasn't in Zone 2, but it cannot take the mult away from those operators who
accepted the exchange in good faith."

KU: I respectfully (really!) disagree.  It's part of the risk.  Your logic
would give DXers credit for every pirate or bogus expedition they ever
worked.

73, Art K3KU