Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Category

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Category
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:10:58 -0600
KU8E said:
Like any game (or competitive sport) those who have the most "toys" always
win. It's no different with amateur radio contesting. Back when I started
contesting in 1976 there was no computer logging, SO2R, SOA, Packet, etc....
The good (and respected) contest operators were the ones who knew from
experience what band they should be CQing on the maximize their score. The
technology we have today has taken all that guesswork away. All you need is
some $$$ and you too can be a good (?) contester.

N5OT (me) says:
I don't believe this for a second.  There are plenty of guys with more stuff
and bigger stations than I have whom I beat regularly.  But more importantly
there are a number who also trounce me regularly with less stuff and smaller
stations.  You're kidding yourself if you believe the only reason someone
beat you was because you were out-hardwared.  You may have also been
out-classed!
73 - Mark