Re: [CQ-Contest] Improper WPX Exchanges

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Improper WPX Exchanges
From: "Tom Haavisto" <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:03:12 -0400
I have followed this talk of the WPX exchange with some interest, and some
folks seem ready to call for the disqualification of one of the front
runners.  Before everyone gets too excited, please keep in mind this is a
HOBBY.  We are here because we want to be.

If the object of the exercise is to shave a few milliseconds off the
exchange by not sending the RS(T), then I can do you one better.  You can
save (quite) a few hours by not participating.  While you are at it, you can
save some money by selling all your equipment.

That said, the rules clearly state that RS(T) is a required part of the
exchange.  It may be old, antiquated and not required, but with the advent
of cell phones and the Internet, I could make a similar case about ham
radio.  However, that is not the issue.  If you wish to change the format of
the exchange, please bring the issue up with the contest sponsor and change
the rules.

In the NAQP for example, RS(T) is not required as part of the exchange, so
one is not sent, nor expected.  In the case of the WPX, it is a required
part of the exchange.  Changing the rules on the fly for your benefit is not
allowed (unsportsman like conduct).  So, if you don't wish to follow the
rules as laid down by the contest sponsor, please don't partake.

With that said, lets get back to our next regularly scheduled contest J