Re: [CQ-Contest] Improper WPX Exchanges

To: cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Improper WPX Exchanges
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 09:19:06 -0400
On Mar 31, 2008, at 9:17 PM, Doug Renwick wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I like your thinking.  It's always amazing how people are resistant to
> change.  They will come up with all sorts of excuses not to change.
> They are unable, unwilling, to step back and objectively look at the
> situation.  They would rather remain mindless.  As you say, break the
> apparent rule and see if it is in fact a rule.  I believe that the
> only
> way these sponsors are going to change is when the contesting
> community
> says and the contesting community makes the
> change.  Remember these sponsors are probably just as resistant to
> change as are a lot of us brain dead contesters.

        Hi Doug,

The automatic 599 exchange is of no use, and simply repeats a
predetermined number. It should be changed. I would suggest
serializing. Serial numbers are great for log checking.

        As a sponsor, I get a lot of requests for changes every year. Many
of these people have the same impression of contest sponsors, that we
are lazy, and resistant to change at best. Problem is that if I
institute every change that people demand, the test would become
unrecognizable, and would bear no resemblance from year to year, and
guess what? Those changes coincidentally give a big advantage to the
people who requested them.

Oh yeah, many of the demanded changes are contradictory toward each
other.

Some snippets:

> resistant to change

> excuses

> unable, unwilling

> They would rather remain mindless

> enough stupidity is enough

Okay, so we've know what you think of us. Thank you kindly. 8^)

I have a couple suggestions here.

1. There is a problem and there is a solution. Then there are insults.

        My first sentence of my reply is short, to the point, and not only
points out a problem, but suggests a solution and a rationale, all in
three short sentences.

        I respectfully suggest that that is orders of magnitude more
effective than what you wrote. No one is insulted or demeaned. The
sponsor will probably give your suggestion serious consideration.
What you wrote would probably  not get serious consideration.

2. Breaking the rules on purpose is not an answer.

        If a person submits a log to me without the exchange - in our case,
serial number and county/and or section, the log is unusable even as
a check log. Honest mistakes in that vein just earn a DQ for that
year. People who intentionally abuse the rules just don't participate
(hand in a log) any more, ever.

4. Get involved

        I'd respectfully suggest that you get involved in administration of
a Party or Contest. If you
believe that you have ideas that are superior to those who run them
now, then don't you owe it to the contesting community to get
involved and change them?

-73 de Mike N3LI -