[CQ-Contest] uRE: Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: "'Paul J. Piercey'" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] uRE: Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:14:44 -0400

> If the CW Skimmer is not networked and gets the spots from
> a receiver located in your shack, then it is like having a
> second receiver and tuning it yourself to find stuff... only
> it happens electronically. Unfortunately, with the work done
> by some on the reflector to use networked Skimmers, I would
> not be able to defend the use of the Skimmer as an unassisted
> technique.
>
> While I agree with Joe Subich W4TV in his assessment of this
> topic, the networking aspect has relegated the Skimmer to the
> same status as the cluster in my opinion.

One can use CW Skimmer locally without being connected to a
wider network just as one can use a second receiver without
locating it outside "the circle."  One is legitimate, the other
is not.  The technology is not "assistance" but one could
consider remote skimmers equivalent to using remote receivers
which is not permitted in any class.

That said, if skimmers are connected to the general packet
network I see several serious problems.

  The data is not "high quality" - it is full of incorrectly
  decoded calls - and can not be trusted.

  There is far too much data ... I've watched N4ZR's skimmer
  for several weeks and the "Spots" it generates outnumber the
  general cluster network by four or five to one.  Put several
  dozen of those on the general cluster network during a busy
  contest and the network is likely to collapse from overload.

  Put several skimmers on the general packet network and there
  will be so many casual operators jumping on every skimmer
  spot that any benefit of early detection is lost to the
  single operator.

The last problem is most likely to cause the use of local
skimmers to be self-limiting.  If the information skimmer
is capable of generating becomes too widely available it
simply loses its value and skimmer becomes a distraction
for the serious operator.