Re: [CQ-Contest] Xtreme category, catch 22

To: Sandy Taylor <ve4xt@mts.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Xtreme category, catch 22
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:12:49 -0700
I agree ... to a point.  Individual stations who compete under the
Xtreme category essentially compete against each other, and their
existence isn't (in my opinion) likely to kill the sport of radio
contesting any more than computer chess tournaments (i.e., IBM's Big
Blue) have diminished the playing of chess among humans.  That assumes,
of course, that stations using things like remote receivers admit to
such when they declare their entry category, but the same caveat holds
for stations running high power.

Unfortunately, and incomprehensibly to me, the CQ Contest Committee saw
fit to allow Xtreme category scores to be grouped into the club scores,
and for that there is no protective segregation.  Being heard in Europe
from here on the west coast is not especially difficult, but hearing
Europeans calling through the east coast QRM can be almost impossible
for long stretches on any band.  A west coast club with remote receivers
in Europe would have a HUGE advantage in the club category if very many
of its members elected to use it.

73,
Dave   AB7E