Re: [CQ-Contest] Xtreme category, catch 22

To: Randy Thompson K5ZD <k5zd@charter.net>, "Chris \(DL8MBS\)" <prickler.schneider@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Xtreme category, catch 22
From: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 06:19:46 -0700 (PDT)
> I hear "We don´t need a wealth of categories for those
> only eager to
> earn awards without effort".  We don´t need a wealth
> of categories but
> more consideration as it is reflected in 6-h-categories in
> RTTY or in a
> family-friendly 12h-category in IOTA. And perhaps
> organizers with
> online-awards can report whether the appetite for paper
> really is as big
> as some argue. It is not about awards but simply about the
> feeling of
> being a competitor running or playing on the same track as
> the big dogs.
> Btw "competing" does mean to rank as good as possible - not
> to win as
> single goal. This attitude is left to some of the big guns
> speaking
> about "lost weekends" or "low key efforts" doing >3k
> QSOs but not ranking No.1.

I would debate the numbers theory on how many are serious in the LP or QRP
categories. You may be able to argue that, as a percentage of the number of
participants, there are fewer "serious" LP entries than HP. This is only true
because there are far more LP entrants than HP. I would say there are the same
number of serious LP entrants as the HP category. I do agree there are more
casual LP entrants than HP.

More than a few folks do not feel they can compete with a modest station, which
is very debatable. The super stations tend not to play in the LP categories,
but do show up in QRP from time to time. This is all a head game in the end.
One has to go into an event with the idea that they are going to do the best
they can, "winning" is doing the best you can.

It is very difficult to beat certain areas of the world in some contests, if
you're not in that section of the world... Maybe it is time for plaques or
medals for the top three contenders in the LP categories, versus making new
categories. Once again, using the other sport analogy, most serious
competitions do provide more substantial awards (non paper) for the top three
contestants in a category. At some point this does get out of hand, that being
said, it does seem in Amateur Radio competition that the majority of the
plaques are for the HP categories. This is not a judgment, just an observation.

Of course, our contest awards depend on sponsors. If no one sponsors an award
for the LP categories well... Too, in other sport competitions, there are often
entry fees to pay for the awards. We don't have that...

The Extreme category is a good thing. It will allow folks with an uber station
to play against others. It may cut down on cheating in other categories. It may
open new techniques up to everyone. It is a logical progression in our hobby.
I'm sure there will be changes as contests get some experience with this, a few
years down the road, what is now extreme may be more "common", just as computer
logging and control has become common.

Better coverage of the LP categories in the write-ups may help. It's nice to
read about the mega stations, but most will never get even close to one of
them, much less appreciate the effort involved running one. This does mean that
the little guy has to get off his duff and get vocal about their effort.
Certainly more folks can appreciate the trials and tribulations of an effort
using a tribander and some wire or verticals and a secondhand radio. :o)

Maybe there's a place for a vintage category, where computer technology is less
influential. This would be a lot more work for the contest sponsors.

Maybe a pool of funds for LP/QRP awards would be a viable option. It might be
easier to get a bunch of stations to send in $5 to $20, versus say $75
annually. Of course, that's more work and temptation for the contest
sponsors... It does help down on the State QSO Party level.

One thing I found discouraging as a LP/QRP contester is the WRTC competition.
QRP was completely ignored and LP was significantly discounted. It basically
sends the message that LP and QRP operators are not worthy of competing, yet
the FD style setup for the coming event is more like what many LP/QRP
operations are for every contest. Yes, I know everyone can't go to the
Olympics, and realistically paying for travel to play in the event for many is
prohibitive. Still, discounting serious efforts outside of the HP categories is
disappointing...

No sour grapes, I still have fun and enjoy the contesting I do and the
contesters I know and will continue to play until those things are no more.

73,
Julius

Julius Fazekas
N2WN

Tennessee Contest Group
http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/index.html

Tennessee QSO Party: Sunday, 6 Sept 2009
http://www.tnqp.org/

Elecraft K2/100 #4455
Elecraft K3/100 #366