Re: [CQ-Contest] Xtreme category, catch 22

To: VE2TZT <ve2tzt@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Xtreme category, catch 22
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@w1ve.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 07:53:34 -0400
Hi Gilles,

"First I am 49 and hope to be on the business for 2 or 3 more decades. hi"

I have you beat by a year -- I'm 50... so yes, I hope to be contesting
for 2 or 3 more decades also... man, I need those solar maximums!

 ''Remote receiving sites may be located anywhere''

You read that and nothing else.   Did you read:

>From CQWW.COM:

"Advance notification: Entrants must notify the CQ WW Contest
Committee by e-mail at least one week in advance of the contest of
their intention to enter this category. This notification should
include a brief description of the technologies to be employed and
callsign to be used. Entrants must also attest that their planned
operation is compliant with the rules and regulations of the country
in which the transmitter(s) are located. Advance notification and
questions regarding these
rules should be sent via e-mail to <xtreme@cqww.com>."

This means that CQ KNOWS who will be using remote receivers.  Stations
not informing the contest committee will be disqualified. If CQ knows
who is using remote receivers, they can publish a list of these
callsigns, which (hopefully) will be viewable by the public.

Those who chase Award Certificates can check with CQ to see if a
callsign qualifies for an award.

Award rules should not stiffle innovation -- we should find ways to
innovate and keep Award integrity intact.   Outright banning specific
practices in a radio contest based on the rules of some other Award
just doesn't make sense.

On a personal note,

Do I agreee with the remote-receiver in another DXCC entity?  It is
not  really in the spirit of what we call "traditional radio", but I
believe there are very legitimate "real-radio" reasons for remote
receivers (just study HF radio history).  However, I'm OK with the
rule, because, as I said in my previous post, having remote rx's in
many DXCC entities or Zones is just not very innovative in the
technology sense,  is not advancing the radio art, and probably won't
produce too many "Wow's!" from the CQWW Judges.

Contester's have been among the top-tier innovaters in the technology
advances in Amateur Radio.  Let's keep the tradition going.

73, Gerry W1VE/VE1RM