Re: [CQ-Contest] Station Inspections

To: "'Barry'" <w2up@comcast.net>, "CQ-Contest" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Station Inspections
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:32:15 -0400
I won't comment on the merits of the rule, but I'd like to point out that
many participants consider contesting much, much more than a hobby.

There may not be big prizes and millions in endorsements, but a *lot* of
money gets spent on contest stations. It's easily tens of millions of
dollars worldwide, especially when you consider land costs. Some of the top
contending stations have cost well over $100,000 to build, and some have
even cost hundreds of thousands.

You can add to the dollar cost many thousands of man-hours to design, build
and maintain the stations, as well as the time spent operating and learning
how to operate better. And some of those hours, on the tower or in the
chair, are very strenuous indeed.

Many of our fellow contesters have pursued this passion for decades, since
they were teenagers or younger, pouring enormous amounts of financial,
physical, mental, intellectual and emotional resources into the quest. These
people care very deeply about the results and even more deeply about
fairness of the game.

There may be reasons why CQ shouldn't use inspectors or DQ people for 5
years for failing to cooperate, but contesting not being important enough to
deserve the scrutiny isn't one of them.

73, Dick WC1M

08/12/09