Re: [CQ-Contest] Station Inspections

To: Mike Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Station Inspections
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 09:03:49 -0400

On 8/13/2009 Mike Coslo wrote:

...snip...
> If we adopt the semi pro outlook you note for contesting, we might give
> serious consideration to just hangin' it up.

...snip..

Mike,
The problem is 99.9% of the stations ARE clean, but you know, and I know, and I
think everyone here knows that there are some stations out there that aren't
(people have already mentioned stations that admit to running too much power)

I don't think we have to worry about say K1TTT - I'll bet he will be inspected
- and be one of the first - just to prevent cries of "You're singling me out".
 We all know that Dave is VERY open about what he does, how he does it, and is
more than willing to have folks he doesn't even know come up and RUN his
station, never mind "inspect" it.
There are folks out there however, who aren't as on the up and up - it may not
happen every year.  They might not even be "top 10" world wide.  But they MIGHT
be top N in their country/zone/region and are looking for bragging rights.
I'll BET (and I've never talked with them, so I have no clue) that CQ Mag gets
reports from people "You know, station X up the road from me was running
assisted, has admitted it to me, and..." (or whatever the violation is)

I'm not very active, in fact, I often "DX" during contests - run a spotting
network to get my 10-20 QSOs from "new ones".  I often just send in a check
log, but if that spotting computer goes on, you can BET I'll send in a M/S or
assisted or whatever is the appropriate entry for that contest

Sigh - now that my life is stabilizing a bit, I actually hope to play in 1-2
this year, for the first time in 2-3 years.  I was a newbie popgun, just
starting to enjoy it, when all sorts of health issues hit me/my family

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects
 is that science requires reasoning, while those other subjects merely require
scholarship.
 --Lazarus Long