Re: [CQ-Contest] Preliminary 2010 CQ WPX SSB/CW Contest Rules

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Preliminary 2010 CQ WPX SSB/CW Contest Rules
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 05:52:05 -0800
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 10:36:58AM +0000, Steve wrote:
> Hello Timo,
>
> Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 5:26:35 AM, you wrote:
>
> TK> Have you ever worked WPX in M/S class?
>
> Yes, a few years ago.
>
> TK> It is one of the most boring contests for multiplier station on
> TK> Sunday because 95% of mults (of mult stn) have been worked on
> TK> Saturday.
>
> That's still less boring than hearing lots of mults on saturday and
> sunday and be unable to work *ANY* of them on the second radio.

If that's a concern, then the simple answer for your situation is to operate
your station as M/2.

If you look at the top WPX scores, you'll see that one out of every 4 QSOs
on average is a new multiplier.  For most middle-of-the-pack stations, one
out of every 3 QSOs on average will be a new multiplier.  It's a different
dynamic than in CQWW, which is probably the context in which a lot of
people are thinking, since CQWW was the more recent contest.  I really don't
understand the desire for a separate multiplier station in WPX - if you have
two radios, it would be more fun to call CQ on two radios (and thereby work
a lot of multipliers).

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com