Re: [CQ-Contest] Frustration this weekend.....

To: CQ-Contest <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Frustration this weekend.....
From: doug smith <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:46:50 -0600
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Todd Atkins <toddatkins@gmail.com> wrote:
> These guys would work more stations if they'd just id more frequently.
> Oftentimes I'd run across one of these mystery stations that refused
> to ID but as soon as he did, WHAM a whole horde of guys calling. And
> unless it's some needed mult. in a difficult location, I'm not
> sticking around. I don't need to fight a pile-up for a common
> entity/zone. I suspect I'm not the only one that moves on rapidly in
> these situations.

I didn't move on -- I called them.  After all, it might be a needed mult..

If they then IDd (or IDd in the next QSO), I logged them.  If they
didn't -- well, it's pretty hard to log a QSO with a station who
doesn't have a callsign...

IMHO we should all adopt this procedure.  It will have two effects on
guys who don't ID:

1. They will waste enormous amounts of time working dupes.
2. They will end up with a very high NIL rate.

Hopefully that will spur them to adopt more ethical operating procedures.

(I realize not IDing frequently increases the CQer's QSO rate.  It
does so by greatly *reducing* the rate of the S&Pers who work them.
IMHO it's not all that horribly different from hanging a white noise
generator over your competitor's guy wire.....)

==
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66
http://www.w9wi.com