Re: [CQ-Contest] The importance of CHECKLOGS

To: on7ss.oo9o@gmail.com, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The importance of CHECKLOGS
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:23:30 -0600 (CST)
Marc,

Sad to say, encourage them all you want, but you will never get a good many
non-contesters to submit a check-log. In fact, I dare say that some will simply
throw up their hands and say "why bother?" and not contact anyone in that
contest or in future ones.

That's simply human nature.

It's one thing if someone logs a call that's not traceable in a call directory
of some sort, especially if it's a "unique." It could be a busted call, it
could be some joker playing games with the contest op, or a dozen other things.

But it's another thing if it's a legit call, and the op chooses for whatever
reason not to submit a contest log or a check log. Despite any and all efforts
to make it easy for them to do so.

Frankly, I'd be very upset if I'd had a QSO removed from a competitive log
because the op chose not to submit a check log, especially if it was a legit
call and especially if it wasn't a "unique." Yes, I know that there are some
contests that do this routinely, but it is part of the rules and you know that
going in. To do so after the fact is... troubling.

At some point, you need to have faith in the basic honesty of the person
submitting the log. [Yes, I know that there are some contester proven to be
less than honest, and who by such actions invite a special level of scrutiny
above & beyond. I'm not talking about those folks.] If you don't have that
faith, then what's the point?

73, ron w3wn