Re: [CQ-Contest] What would you have done?

To: n1tangoalpha@gmail.com, CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What would you have done?
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:48:39 -0600 (CST)
I see your point. So one might want to wait to tell either or both of them
until after logs had been submitted.

That is a moral judgement that only the operators can, and should make.

And frankly, if I received and email from someone telling me something like
this... I can't speak for anyone else, but I would NOT change my log.  (What if
the person sending said information is wrong?)  I would make a note of it and
pass it on to the contest sponsor along with my log, just to cover all bets.

The point is, though, that the receiving station copied what was sent to him.
The error appears to be on the sending station.   Someone should be notified of
where the error originated so that the receiving station is not unfairly (IMHO)
dinged for copying what was sent, as he should, not what should have been sent.
 Granted, life's not fair, but one should try to do the best one can, and an
error like this should not be ignored.

73, ron w3wn

--------------------------------

On 11/21/11, Mike N1TA<n1tangoalpha@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Ron,

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>wrote:

> If I'd overheard this, I'd email both stations and tell them exactly what
> you observed. And I would definitely contact Sean up at the League and tell
> him the same thing.

If you email both stations, and the stations use this information to
correct their logs, they are making an exchange after the contest - and
this is not legal. This is the same as emailing some EU after CQWW to
confirm their zone or to correct an exchange - it's not right. Brain spasms
happen (locally, we call them MQE's or Moron Qualifying Events), and
unfortunately they cost points, be it a momentary lapse and a wrong zone
sent or fat fingers and a wrong zone copied or using the club call by
mistake, etc., we've all done this stuff. Now, feel free to get a hold of
KX9X on this, as he'd be the ultimate authority, and might even wave the
ultimate authority wand over it. But in any case, contact him BEFORE you
try contacting either of the stations.

My $0.02.

--
Mike DeChristopher, N1TA