Re: [CQ-Contest] unIDs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] unIDs
From: Jack/W6NF <vhfplus@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 10:19:45 -0800
On 11/28/2011 7:51 AM, Larry wrote:
> The problem goes in cycles. It is getting worse at the moment. There will
> be some backlash as a result of discussion. The situation will improve
> some for awhile and then get worse again if it follows history.
>
> I did hear a number of stations that didn't sign very often tell several
> stations
> "QSO B4".
>
> 73, Larry  W6NWS

>>> minute.  Some less often.  This is nothing new; this goes back as far as
>>> can recall, and that goes back to Field Day 1972.
>> The problem is recent, and getting worse.  It stems from
>> those stations assuming everyone else knows their call
>> from spots or the RBN.  For as long as they get a steady
>> stream of callers, they have no need to ID.  They use
>> non-IDing as a form of pileup management.
>>
>> Of course it's utterly selfish.
>>

>>> Unless you are going to mandate in the rules a minimum time to ID over&
>>> above what is legally required by the country of license for the station,
>>> there's not much that can be done about it.
>> Contest organisers can, and do, mandate rules that
>> have nothing to do with "legalities".  The solution
>> is not to set a maximum time between IDs, it might
>> be better to specify a maximum number of QSOs, no
>> more than three or four, because that is easy to
>> monitor.
>>
>> 73,
>> Paul EI5DI

I programmed "NIL" into one of the "F" keys in N1MM Logger. I only had
to use it once when I got the "QSO B4" back. I had not received proper
confirmation on the previous attempt and the Q was not logged. To their
credit the station did work me for a good Q.

Jack, W6NF
Silver Springs, NV
DM09ji