Re: [CQ-Contest] Inequity of Zone Checking

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Inequity of Zone Checking
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 16:54:12 -0800 (PST)
I am curious how zone checking is done for the IARU contest- there qso's with
the "incorrect" zone ARE removed from you log. Often casual contest
participants don't know their IARU zone or send their CQ zone instead. I
suspect these same stations also rarely send in their logs. And there are more
IARU zones than CQ zones.

Suppose a W4 station who appears to be located on the west coast USA calls me
and sends his zone as "3". Should I

a) log what was sent
b) log "6" because the station is west coast
c) log "8" because ARRL log checking might assume W4 is east coast if he
doesn't send in a log
d) spend 10 minutes trying to explain the difference between IARU and CQ zones
at 5 WPM cw?

:)

Tor
N4OGW