Re: [CQ-Contest] SS Sundays

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS Sundays
From: Steve Sacco NN4X <nn4x@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 18:38:23 -0500
Why have a simple solution when a complicated one will do?  ;-)

Let's take a page from the Stew Perry contest, and have variable points awarded, except instead of for distance (how last-century is THAT?), let's make it based upon WHEN the QSO occurred! There are 30 hours in the contest.

How about QSO Point Value = sequential hour of contest? QSO's made from 21:00 - 21:59:59 are 1 point, but QSO's made from 22:00 - 22:59:59 are 2 points, and from 23:00 - 23:59:59 are 3 points, etcetera, until you're at Sunday, at 02:00 - 20:59:59, and they're worth a whopping 30 points/QSO!

Alternatively, we could wait until after the logs have been submitted, and QSO's +/- 1 standard deviation of the highest activity hour for each day are worth 1 point, those 2 standard deviations away worth 5 points, and 3 standard deviations away are worth 20 points. This would create a game-within-a-game, where the competitors would not only be trying to make as many QSO's as possible, but trying to figure out when everyone ELSE was making the majority of their QSO's and try to operate outside of that time.

Tongue firmly in cheek (or is it?)...

73,
Steve
NN4X