Re: [CQ-Contest] field day aux gear power source

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] field day aux gear power source
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 08:25:22 -0500
Well, I guess you have the actual rules and the spirit of the rules.
For one thing, there are categories that are meant for entrants from
home and allow operation from the mains. But the original idea of FD
was to test operation in emergency situations from the field and those
stations would operate in locations where there WAS no power source
other than a generator, batteries or solar cells, etc.

Every FD operation I've been on in the past 47 years was out in the
middle of nowhere and used generators as the power source. A couple
times a group made a few QSO's with a rig fastened to a bicycle
generator or something similar. I did one operation myself one year
using batteries.

73, Zack W9SZ