Re: [CQ-Contest] field day aux gear power source

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] field day aux gear power source
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 12:28:35 -0400
Jeff/All:

The auxiliary power (generator, battery, solar, etc.) refer to the power directly connected to the transmitting/receiving equipment.

Anything else can be run off the power grid. There have been bonus points for "100% emergency power" in past years, but I haven't read whether this bonus is retained this year.

Note, the absolutely best "score" if you're looking for score, is class A, Battery, QRP. Look for WØCQC's score in the past umpteen years, and earlier (60's and 70's) for K5DX or maybe W5DX, who routinely win in category and often in the entire contest running Battery QRP, and mostly CW.

QRP Battery gets you a multiplier of 5, CW gets you a multiplier of 2, so CW QRP/Battery gets you a multiplier of 10.

Even a LID like N8XX has achieved 2nd/3rd/2nd in class 1B 1Op Battery in the 1980's for three consecutive years. That's one reason my motto is "I never cease to be amazed at what can be accomplished by running @ 5 Watts or less."

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time