Re: [CQ-Contest] NILs hurt

To: KB3LIX@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NILs hurt
From: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 18:03:42 -0400
On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM, <KB3LIX@comcast.net> wrote:

> I have lots of points I want to make, and I will
> probably miss some, but here goes.
>
> My purpose is NOT to teach anyone a "LESSON"
> That notion is foolish to me.
>
> My intent is to make sure I am NOT penalized in the log checking
> process for having excessive NIL's.
> This is especially important to me when I am participating
> in a contest where I am not only penalized for a single NIL,
> but am also penalized additional points as punishment
> for having an NIL.

This is a worthy goal.

> In ALL cases, I try to get the attention of the running station
> and get an ack. MOST times I am drowned out by other callers.

Part of the problem may be that you don't recognize an ACK when it arrives.
You sound like a fone op, and I'm a cw op, so I may be talking out of
school, but believe me: runners live and die on the weak signals. The more
well-water weak signals I can make Qs with, the better my score. If I can
copy the weak guys and my competition can't, that's a population
unavailable to them. There is an entire layer of signals (out of EU,
because I'm and East Coast station) that I have always referred to as "50
watts to attic dipoles" - they are the faint murmuring that you hear when
you end your "CQ test" call. If you can pick up one of them in between the
moderately to really loud responders, there's a good chance that you have a
Q that few others will have - and that's good. So, if I get a part of one
of those guys calls, I tend to stick with him to complete the Q. And, when
I'm sure I have his info correct (and he probably has mine correct because
he likely hears me better than I hear him - he answered me, after all), I
send "TU N4UA" and the freq might explode with louder callers, and I move
on. But if I invest the effort into digging him out, I stick with it until
I think I have a good Q. I don't want busted Qs any more than you do. I go
over my Log Checking Reports every contest, and I try to get my error rate
lower. It will never be zero, and I think you could never win with a zero
error rate, but I do try to improve. But when I send "TU N4UA" I'm happy,
and at that point I have concluded that you're happy too. If you're not,
it's probably too late to do anything about it, but there's certainly
nothing malicious about it - at least on my end. I want ALL Qs to be good,
but I realize that some will not be.

That is potentially MY fault because I do not have a kW+ amplifier
> and a junk yard full of aluminum in the air.
> Living on a fixed income precludes those options.

Lotsa folks do very well with modest stations. Perhaps you need some help
to get the most out of what you already have.

> A scenario I also live with is the situation where I send my info
> and I believe he does not get it because I am drowned out by others.
> I DETEST the practice in contests and general DXing where a station
> replies to a caller, or sends a partial call like "Who is the KB3"
> and the world keeps calling instead of SHUTTING UP and let
> him complete the Q.

It is, after all, a contest, but yeah, that's annoying. The only real cure
is to be the loudest KB3...

73,

geo - n4ua