Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting is a Game

To: <k5zd@charter.net>, 'CQ-Contest MailList' <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting is a Game
From: Tod Olson <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 08:13:13 -0500
This is very well written and illustrates clearly why Randy, K5ZD, is a
leader in our sport of amateur radio contesting.

I can imagine only one way to 'retaliate' or protest. [ select the word of
your choice] .  One can generate an 'NIL' in another  operator's log. Done
cleverly, you can even come up with a strategy that will give you a
multiplier, should you need it, and still create a problem for the
'cheating' station.

However, doing such a thing deliberately does place you in the category of
someone who is not operating ethically in the contest. I suppose if a large
group of folks were to generate NIL's in one contest for one or a few
stations and then revert to completely ethical operating for all future
contests there might be an opportunity to make a point that would be visible
to serious operators world wide.

The casual operator probably would be oblivious to what had happened.
Whether this would cause offenders to cease and desist is problematical ---
I expect not. If you truly believe that "the rules do not apply to me" then
there will be little reason to change behavior.

This issue was present in amateur radio contesting before I edited the first
issue of the NCJ in 1972. I suspect that 40 years from now it there will
still be such scofflaws among our contesting brethren.

Tod, K0TO