Re: [CQ-Contest] Entry Class -- CQWW Classic Overlay As It Should Be

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Entry Class -- CQWW Classic Overlay As It Should Be
From: VE5ZX <ve5zx@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 05:29:32 -0600

I thought the whole idea 'Classic' class was to go back to 'Just a boy and his radio' type of contesting with no spotting, etc.

Why have the classic and then just have the same rules as the regular contest, only for 24 hours? 73
Tom W7WHY

Tom

Just a bit of background

The idea for the 24-hour category came from an article that Pete & Mike wrote more than 10 years ago in 2003 on contesting.com titled "The 24-Hour DX Challenge".

http://www.contesting.com/articles/401

and a survey that was taken at the same time

http://www.contesting.com/survey/95

The ensuring discussions that took take over the intervening 10 years also suggested and assumed that the 24-hour DX challenge would allow spots as the focus was to encourage more participation in contests and allow a participant to do the best they could from their QTH. The idea was picked up by CQWW and consequently given the name of a Classic class with an 24-hour overlay without spots allowed. The original intent as proposed was never 'Just a boy and his radio'

BTW - Pete - I will join you in the "Classic-As-It-Should-Be category, with spotting assistance" during the CQWW CW portion as I am going to VE5RI to do a multi-multi in the SSB contest

Syl - VE5ZX