Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Committee Restructured

To: Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Committee Restructured
From: James Rodenkirch <Rodenkirch_LLC@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 20:30:46 +0000
Ward has suggested an attractive manner to obviate the sometimes divisive topic
of leveling the geographic playing field for contests; e.g. for us U.S.
residents, it may  be as simple as choosing to bin participants by CQ regions.
In short, the "advantage" of east coast over west is removed.

If the goal(s) are to recruit new contesters, provide an arena where
propagation and geography are removed from discussion (simply 'cuz it's just
too darn difficult relative to a "leveL playing field in contests) AND we want
to encourage more participation there is one additional subject area available
for "tweaking" - antennas.

If Ward's suggestion comes to fruition, IMHO, three components to "competing in
a contest" remain:

#1 - the operator ..... I am too old to have my BIC for 24 plus hours, I doubt
if I could master SO2R and my CW receive speed just isn't what it was 58 years
ago ---- I will, probably, never post a competitive score based on being
considered in the upper CW ops echelon(s) BUT I consider myself in the
mid-level area of experience and ability to be competitive for 6 or more hours
at a time.

The "advantage" goes to the younger crowd and there's 'nuthin we can do about
it.

#2 - the antenna .... to be talked to below.

#3 - the equipment.  You purchase or build what you can - the competing op(s)
who utilize K3s rigs will have an edge over those of us with
"mid-level"equipment but I suspect that "edge" isn't all that great.

The advantage goes to the op with discretionary resources > you or
me....'nuthin we can do about it.

The transmit antenna, however, is one area where a little "tweaking" can
provide us an area to remove the advantage of a few over many. I can't be
competitive, during a 160 meter contest, with the op who sports a phased array
nor can I compete on the high bands with the op sporting yagi/beam arrays. I
can't be competitive simply 'cuz I don't have the space for 'dem nifty
antennas.

I can be competitive if other ops are sporting the same kind of antenna as I
----- a non-rotatable wire antenna OR, even, a non-rotating gain antenna!

Here is an example of antenna discriminator I introduced to QR ARCI contests:

Antennas:
Entry may be A1 or A2

A1: Single Element Antenna

If you are using a single element antenna such as a dipole, inverted V, loop,
or a vertical you can enter the A1 category. ( Note that with a vertical you
can have as many radials as you want but only one “vertical” element. If you
are employing an A2 category antenna that is not steerable or rotatable,
mechanically or electrically, you can enter the A1 category; i.e., you can
enter as an A1 category with a gain antenna as long as it's not rotated.

A2: Multiple Element Antenna or rotatable antenna

If you are using a multi element beam, phased vertical array, or any antenna
that can be rotated, mechanically or electrically, you are in the A2 category.

A simple approach to provide relief for the many of us who deploy simple wire
antennas.

Note: the North American QRP Contest Club utilizes a similar approach to
binning entries by antenna category.

Some food for thought.....71.5/72 de Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV