[CQ-Contest] Cheating

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cheating
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 14:48:32 -0600
Hans - It is straight forward to calculate the percentage of hams that play by
the rules in ham contesting and it is less than the 99.99% number you claim.

Consider: Not counting check logs, there were 7,899 entrants to the 2015 CQ WW
SSB DX contest. 39 of those were disqualified for not following the rules.
Cheating if you will.  That would put the occurrence of honest operators in CQ
WW SSB DX at about 99.5%, not 99.99%. That ignores the warnings distributed
about questionable behavior, which were about the same number, and the people
who don’t get caught. You may think the difference between the two percentages
small, but it is the difference between the 39 who cheated in  a single contest
and only one being cheating (actually less than one, but humans occur in
integer quantities).

We tend to view the world on the basis of our own local personal interactions
and observations. If your neighborhood of hams that you interact with is 99.99%
playing by the rules, which apparently it is, you tend to think that is true of
all hams everywhere. But, it isn’t necessarily, and the CQ WW SSB results
demonstrate that. Extrapolating local observations onto a global view can be
inaccurate.

Sorry for one more jeremiad to the list. I tried to keep it objective and
verifiable. Most hams are honest, but among DX contesters it is not 99.99%.  -
Duffey KK6MC

Hans - You wrote “It insults the community of hams, 99.99% of who play by the
rules.”