Re: [CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Future

To: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Future
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 08:28:59 -0500
Random thoughts:

We do need to consider the issues in moving forward.  My opinion at the time of
eliminating the requirement to actually copy code as opposed to a multiple
choice test was that it was a bad idea.  That was about 40 years ago and was
the only thing I can remember which led me to write letters of protest. Where
did that change lead us?  I think it has dramatically increased the number of
ham licenses and dramatically decreased the activity on the bands.  More is
better?  Not sure about that.

Memorizing the answers to a few questions to get a license does not make you a
ham radio operator (by my definition).  How many people with licenses have ham
radio on their mind more than a couple hours per week?  Used to be one in a
thousand were hams.

Sure, we are in a transitional period.

Sorry to say that we are one small step away (eliminating an easy multiple
choice test from a question pool) from combining amateur radio with CB when the
only requirement to becoming a ham will be to have enough money to buy some
kind of communication device at the next truck stop.

Used to be that I was way more proud to tell someone I was a ham radio operator.

In the meantime, let us not take steps to accelerate the inevitable.

73... Stan, K5GO