Re: [CQ-Contest] New Category Suggestion

To: Mike Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Category Suggestion
From: Rudy Bakalov via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 09:47:56 -0400
IMHO, adding a category along the lines of what is being discussed, regardless
of what we call it or how we define it, is a solution to a problem that does
not exist.  Hams enter contests knowing upfront that there are better equipped
stations out there. In fact, this goes even further- they know they don't have
the stamina to last 48 hours, can barely copy morse code, have high levels of
local band noise, etc.  That is, they know upfront that they can't win.

Also, IMHO, for a new category to be embraced, it needs to be:

1) Crystal clear, without any ambiguity, so that everybody understands where
the lines are drawn. One vs many ops. 100W or more. One band vs all bands. You
get the idea. Conversely, if the category results in endless and reoccurring
debates on this reflector then it fails the clarity test.

2) Large enough to draw meaningful competition. Who wants to be the winner in a
category with a total of 7 participants?

CQ WPX already offers the Tribander/Wires overlay. Simple definition, easy to
understand, and does not lead to debates. It will be interesting to see how
many people chose to enter.

Rudy N2WQ

Sent using a tiny keyboard.  Please excuse brevity, typos, or inappropriate
autocorrect.