[CQ-Contest] FW: New Category Suggestion

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] FW: New Category Suggestion
From: "Stephen Bloom" <sbloom@acsalaska.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 09:51:22 -0800
Hey all:

Here was my serious answer to his question from this morning

Hi Steve:

Sorry about the snark .it did go into my spam filter and it seemed to come
out of "Left Field" (no previous context), so I assumed it was just a "shot"
at the RHR, and "rent a shack" folks.

I don't think it is unfair at all.  I guess to my mind, there is nothing big
enough to qualify as "corporate" in the hobby, other than the Big 3
manufacturers (Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom).  Even the largest dealers (e.g. HRO)
are "Mom and Pop" in real world comparisons.

On a practical level, trying to define a category by ownership type, would
make the "assisted v. non assisted" endless discussion look like
Kindergarten material.  Way too much of a grey area.  I can't really speak
intelligently about RHR itself.  I don't know what the business model is,
but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that is going to make huge bucks
for anyone.  I guess that's my take.

I can give you a longer more detailed answer when I get a bit more time
(it's just before 0600 local time here and have to get a bunch of stuff
done),  and explain my reasoning why .even though I'm not wild about
remoting and especially not the "Give us a cc number and tell us how many
hours of time you want" deal, why I think we're better off accepting it.

Again, sorry about the first lame response.

73

Steve KL7SB