Re: [CQ-Contest] RDXC Entry Reclassified to High Power

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RDXC Entry Reclassified to High Power
From: brian coyne via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 22:13:58 +0000 (UTC)
It is strange but true that the RDXC rules are silent on the matter of
adjudication and how unique's and contacts with stns who do not submit logs are
treated so we can only rely on experiences related here to learn what they
actually do when log checking.

It is several years since I participated, after a hefty points deduction I
voted with my feet out the shack door. At the time I assumed the penalties were
for unique's but I didn't re-visit the log to discover what s/n those
disallowed contacts had sent. I now see guys here saying they made several or
more contacts but did not submit logs and their qso's did not count. If those
reports are correct it is an odd and unsatisfactory way to adjudicate a
contest. It has been suggested that RDXC log checking software is out of date
and inadequate. Our Russian friends have brought so many technical innovations
and achievements to the hobby I would not go along with that suggestion and am
certain that their software is as good as any.

At first glance although perhaps not agreeing with deletion of unique's we can
go along with it as every entrant is treated the same but in reality that is
not how it works out. Whilst 'running'.  a G3, K3, UA3 is unlikely to attract
many unique's whereas a dx stn attracts many, even semi-dx such as 5B. Non
contest guys who call want band slots, annual marathon tables, qsl cards etc.
Ops in distant places from Russia ostensibly allowed to work anyone and
everyone, turn to S&P only to later find that they wasted their time in many
cases.

I concede that this is the RDXC's event and they run it how they wish but there
are so many dis-incentives and arbitrary post event decisions that we must
question whether it is fit for purpose as a WRTC qualifying event.

73 Brian 5B4AIZ / C4Z.