Re: [CQ-Contest] When it's over, it's over (again)

To: Igor Sokolov <ua9cdc@gmail.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When it's over, it's over (again)
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 08:21:51 -0600
Part of real-time QSO submission is being able to cross-check a QSO relatively quickly and report back to both submitters whether it is a valid QSO. If after making a QSO with UA9CDC, I am notified later by the cross-check service that the QSO was invalid because of a mistake by me or a mistake by Igor, I can go back and make another attempt at a valid QSO. Because there is no post-event log, there needs to be no post-event penalty because the error can be corrected during the contest with another contact, just like any other sport. The QSO either counts or it doesn't. Penalties are only necessary in today's contests because of the post-event log being what is judged. Getting rid of the post-event log solves a lot of judging and behavioral problems.

Obviously, there is a lot of distance between where we are today with post-event logs being cross-checked after the event and real-time contest QSO validation but as you can see from ClubLog and DXA, the basic structures exist on a smaller scale and longer timeline. Imagine a "blank" Contest-LOTW being established before each contest, configured to match calls, date/time, band, and exchange. Contest QSOs are signed and delivered to the Contest-LOTW server just as they are now for ordinary day-to-day QSOs to LOTW. In fact, people are automatically sending day-to-day QSOs one-by-one to LOTW as they are made, under the control of TQSL and their general-purpose logging software. It's happening now and there are automated reporting tools to extract reports from LOTW as to what contacts have been validated, construct a scoring leaderboard, etc.

All the pieces exist today. What is needed is integration and enough server horsepower to handle the load - the cloud is cheap and even a full-blown amateur radio contest is not really all that much data compared to a commercial application. Bandwidth requirements on the submitter end are minimal. Simple Matter of Programming :-)

73, Ward N0AX