Re: [CQ-Contest] Dead zero beat pile ups

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dead zero beat pile ups
From: Tom <n1mmtomwagner@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 17:29:10 -0500
N1MM+ has an option in the Telnet window, "Randomize incoming spot frequencies". As each spot comes in, we add -60, -30, 0, 30 or 60 hz to the spot frequencies. This option is on by default.

The main purpose of this feature is to cause casual contesters to call on more than the original spot frequencies in order to "spread out the pileup" for stations who frequently get multiple callers. It also helps these casual contesters to get through, even though they don't know the advantage of calling off frequency in a large pileup.

We restricted it to +/- 60 hz because the spot frequency is already as much as 50 hz off by rounding to the nearest 100 hz and subject to tuning error by the spotting station (mostly now skimmers). We did not wish to penalize naive users by sometimes pushing them outside the spotted station's passband.

Once a casual contester figures out that he is randomly (mostly) calling a little off frequency, he can turn off the option if he so desires. We don't know how many users turn this feature off.

73,

Tom - N1MM